How to Can Cherries
Home canned cherries are easy to make with this simple water bath canning recipe!
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 25 mins
Total Time 40 mins
Servings 6 Quarts
- 4 pounds Sweet Cherries
- 6.5 cup Sugar
- 10 Cups Filtered or Spring Water
- 6 Quart Jars wide mouth
- 6 Sets Rings and Lids
- Water Bath Canner
- Canning Tools
- Cherry Pitting Tool
- Wash and prepare jars per Water Bath Canning Directions.
- Pit all cherries, set aside.
- Combine water and sugar in medium pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and maintain a low simmer.
- Pack cherries into hot jars and ladle syrup over cherries, leaving a 1 inch headspace.
- Use canning knife to remove bubbles (see directions here)
- Wipe off rim with a hot towel, add rings and lids. Tighten to "finger tightness", not too much.
- Place in a hot water bath, with the water level at least 2 inches above the jars.
- Bring to boil. Start 25 minute timer once water is boiling.
- When timer goes off, turn off the burner and leave jars in the water for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove jars with jar removal tool, and place them on a towel.
- Do not move for at least 12 hours.