How to Can Green Beans
This is the easiest method for canning green beans in a pressure canner. Save time and effort with the raw pack method!
Prep Time 30 Mins
Cook Time 25 Mins
Total Time 55 Mins
Servings 16 1Cup Servings
- Pressure Canner (here's the one I use)
- 4 Quart Canning Jars (OR 8 pint canning jars)
- Canning Tools
- 10 lbs Green Beans
- Canning Salt
- Prep jars according to canning instructions
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Filtered or spring water is my preference.
- Wash and de-string green beans. Remove ends, and cut or snap into 2" pieces.
- Pack beans tightly into hot jars leaving a 1" headspace.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to pint jars, and 1 teaspoon to quarts (optional, but strongly recommended!)
- Ladle boiling water over beans/salt, leaving a 1" headspace.
- Remove air bubbles with canning knife and add additional beans or water as needed. Adjust 2-piece lids to finger tightness.
- Process pints for 20 minutes and quarts for 25 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a pressure canner.
- Remove from canner according to canning instructions and allow to cool for 12-24 hours before putting them away for storage.