Pickle Green Beans
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 20 mins
Additional Time 14 days 8 hrs
Total Time 14 days 8 hrs 35 mins
Servings 6 (1/2-pint) jars
- Fermentation Glass Weights
- 6 (1/2-pint) Jars
2 ½ cups distilled white vinegar
2 cups water
¼ cup salt
1 clove garlic, peeled
2 ½ pounds fresh green beans
6 large sprigs of dill
¾ teaspoon red pepper flakes (Optional)
- Inspect six 1/2-pint jars for cracks and rings for rust, discarding any defective ones. Immerse in simmering water. Wash new, unused lids and rings in warm soapy water.
- While the jars are being sterilized, stir together vinegar, water, and salt in a large saucepan. Add garlic and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Trim green beans to 1/4-inch shorter than the jars.
- Remove jars from simmering water. Place 1 sprig of dill and 1/8 teaspoon of red pepper flakes in each jar. Pack in green beans standing on end.
- Ladle boiling brine (leave out garlic) into the jars, filling within 1/4-inch of the tops. Seal jars with lids and rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars 2 inches apart into the boiling water using a holder. Pour in more boiling water to cover jars by at least 1 inch. Bring to a simmer (do not boil), cover, and process for 10 minutes.
- Remove jars from the stockpot and cool to room temperature, for 8 to 12 hours. Test jars for a good seal by pressing on the center of the lid — it should not move.
- Let green beans ferment for 2 to 3 weeks in a cool, dark space before eating.
If any jars do not seal properly, refrigerate and eat those beans within a week.